Two Easy Ways to Separate an Egg:
1) Try using your hand, no utensils necessary.
- Wash your hands well!
- Set out two bowls, one for the egg whites and the other to store the egg yolks.
- Start by cracking an egg into your hand, holding it over one of the bowls.
- Cradle the yellow yolk with your fingers, separate your fingers just slightly, and let the whites (clear liquid surrounding the yellow center) fall through into the bowl.
- Set the bowl with the whites aside, and put the yolk in the second bowl.
- Save the yolks for another dish. Just refrigerate them!
2) Use an inexpensive egg separator or a funnel.
- For more about cooking and storing eggs safely, click here.
- See how long you can keep eggs and food made with eggs at this site.
- Listen or read more about food safety for you and your family below: