1. Stay safe with 500 calorie meals:
- Calories are simply a way to measure how much energy we get from foods or drinks and how much energy we use up through being active.
- If you are hungry for lunch, a 500 calorie meal fits into most people's diets.
- What does a 500 calorie meal look like? Check out these meal options.
- Have a few fast food favorites tucked up your sleeve. Search this database to understand the nutrition behind the meals you love.
- Picture healthier versions of the most commonly ordered meals.
2. Search the calories in your favorite restaurants' dish by using their . . .
- Smartphone Applications
- QR Code - A Quick Response (QR) Code is a “barcode” with a web address with nutrition information encoded in it, which can be read by a scanner on smartphones. Some restaurants put QR Codes on their menus; scan it to find the nutrition facts. The picture on the right is an example the QR symbol.
3. Eat For Energy
- A double cheeseburger, large fry and a medium soda will energize you for:
- 3 hours of walking.
- 4 hours on a bicycle.
- More than 1 and 1/2 hours of jogging.
- 2 hours of hard half-court basketball or almost 3 and 1/2 hours of shooting for fun.
4. NEW: Eat healthier, tastier menu options!
- These days, restaurants cook up healthier dishes with more flavor than the unhealthy choices. Some restaurants added 500 calorie or below meals. Take a bite, and you'll never turn back!
5. See the calories to believe them.
- Even though it would be easier to forget about what’s in the mozzarella sticks, seeing a days-worth of calories (about 2000 of them) in one order might help you to pick something else.
- Soon, foods will be labeled with calories on restaurant menus!
6. The more food in front of you, the more you eat . . .
- A good idea is to split your meal with a friend, or bring leftovers home for another meal.
- Here are some suggestions for ordering smaller meals at a restaurant.
Pictures found on Penn State Cooperative Extension's website.
7. Try another place!
Is it hard not to order the same-old thing at the same-old place? Skip this challenge by trying new fast food restaurant with healthier choices so you are not tempted to buy the normal.
More tips . . .
Use these tricks to order out.
Watch this “Smart Restaurant Choices” video.
Check out this “Fast Food Survival Guide.”