This is a quick, healthy, tasty side dish that can brighten up any meal!
- Serving Size: 1/4 cup
- Recipe Makes: 4 servings
- 1 pound fresh spinach
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Cut off the stems and wash the spinach.
- Put the spinach, black pepper, and lemon juice in a pan.
- Cook, uncovered, over low heat for 3 minutes, until just tender.
To stem spinach:
- If you purchased a bunch of spinach with large leaves, the stems can be fibrous and stringy.
- Cut the stems off at the bottom of the spinach leaf.
To wash spinach:
- Fill a bowl with cold water, and swish loose leaves around.
- Let the leaves set in the water until dirt and sand settle.
- Lift leaves from water and place in a colander.
- Drain and rinse the bowl.
- Repeat the steps above 2-3 times with fresh water until the spinach is clean.
- Pat leaves dry with towel, if needed.
A serving of Lemon Spinach provides:
- 25 Calories, 90 mg. Sodium, 4 g. Carbohydrates, 3 g Fiber, 3 g. Protein
For kids under the age of 4 years old, serve food in the following ways:
- Puree, blend or mash all ingredients in this recipe. Stringy, smooth, or slippery foods like cooked spinach can slide down kids' throat before chewing.